Thursday, March 3, 2011

Not Our Future


Not Our Future is a government funded quit smoking ad campaign in NZ. They have bus stop ads, and for a while had ads on TV.
Check out their website to see the other posters.



My feedback of the campaign.
Overall, I think it's a really good campaign. It's got the right amount of firmness and honesty that will give people the push they need to stop smoking. It's not necasserily a comfortable or pleasant campaign for smokers, but I think it's effective.

However - I don't like the Ladi6 one - 'I see it as a weakness in myself that I smoke' - this just advertises her as a smoker, which legitimises it for others. Smokers will see it and think 'well, Ladi6 smokes and is cool and successful, therefore I can still get ahead as a smoker'. And, I'm assuming that you are paying these celebs for their endorsment, why would you want to pay someone for being a smoker? Pay them when they've quit and can say 'I quit smoking, it's perfectly possible'.

Regards

David Johnston.


Kia ora David,

Thanks for getting in touch. We always appreciate any feedback on the Smoking Not Our Future campaign, and we’re glad that you think it’s effective.

The particular message of Ladi6’s that you mention - “I see it as a weakness in myself that I smoke” - was chosen for a very specific reason. In order to be credible, reflect reality, and appeal to a wide audience, the campaign has a range of smoking statuses and messages amongst the celebrities. Ladi6’s message acknowledges her feelings about addiction, as well as showing current smokers that she’s not happy with her addiction. She’s also showing young people who have never smoked the powerful regret that can come from taking it up. Research shows that many current smokers want to quit, and it’s only the highly addictive substances in cigarettes that keeps them smoking.

However the perspective that you bring up is an important one for us to consider. We’ll bear your comments in mind when next considering which messages to use for the campaign.

Kind regards,

Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment